Saturday 4 May 2013

Comfortex Acoustics....

I found a company on Amazon selling foam acoustic tiles very cheaply and I have always wanted to acoustically treat my music room but the cost always put me off. After reading a couple of reviews these tiles seemed to be very good and couple of hundred pounds compared to a couple of thousand told me it was time to do it....
Comfortex Acoustics have just started making a range of acoustic treatment tiles for the home market rather than the pro market. They come in bulk in large boxes....


I did a very quick estimate and ordered 4 bass traps "£40 + postage for 2 traps per box", 2 boxes of  large tiles "£40 + postage for 30 tiles per box" and 2 boxes of small tiles "£20 + postage for 24 tiles per box"....It all came to £240....Bargin....


I was going to stick the tiles up like Maplewood Studio has them in their video but had a problem....I bought 25 meters of Velcro from a company called Easy Time UK but when my order never arrived they were less than helpful....because I am impatient I decided to make up some frames and stick the tiles to them using little adhesive pads and hang them from picture hooks....

The frames are made up from blind slats that I had removed from some IKEA blinds that were too long and stuck them all together with NoNails glue. I used some aluminum tape to keep them from moving while the glue was drying...."remember I said I have no patients"


To be very honest I'm blown away with these tiles from Comfortex Acoustics, before I had the tiles my sound was a bit blurry really and I had put that down to my speakers. I have only used the 4 bass traps and one box of the large tiles and the sound in my room has become amazing. The bottom end has tightened up and the stereo image and become very sharp and detailed. I was going to use the small tiles on my ceiling but apart from maybe a small group of them above my desk don't really need them.
Everything you can see in these photos cost £140 and the difference it has made on the sound in my room has been nothing short of amazing. These acoustic tiles have been without doubt the best things I have ever bought....even when you consider I bought twice as many as I really needed....

I was going to stick my tiles up like Maplewood's drum room

Hope this helps....Amazon refunded my money for the Velcro....so I'm a very happy bunny. k.j.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review and heads up

    Mike ( Comfortex Acoustics )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG a comment....somebody has found me....

      one thing you don't do Mike....a Bass Trap with a 90degree bend so that you can place them all around the ceiling....you could do them yourself but you would never get the cut straight....

      Big Thanks Back Mike. k.j.

      Delete