Sunday 15 June 2014

Tube Biasing with the AsharpFretworks BiasPro VI....

I have always sent my amps to a tech to have them retubed and biased....its not only a pain but its also expensive....But then I got my Egnater Renegade that has biasing probe points at the back and I wondered why if biasing was so easy don't all amps come with easy biasing set up points....Biasing seems very straight forward with the right know how and a multimeter and yet also a bit of a black art....


I started looking for something that would make the biasing process easy but strangely nothing is really out there....TAD "Tube Amp Doctor" make a biasing kit that only gives you one part of the equation....the Cathode Current....but you then need a multi meter to read the Plate Voltage....whats the point of the TAD kit if you have your multi meter out to read the PV you may as well read the CC while your at it....????....


Then I found this on Ebay....The BiasPro VI by AsharpFretworks....This not only gives you the PV but also at the flick of a switch the CC....all you then need to know is the Maximum Power Dissipation of your new tubes....that's easy with the internet....a bit of math....a twist of a screwdriver and your done....that all seems easy enough....

The BiasPro looks well made....all the lethal electrical power strays in the tube connecters plugged into your amp and sends Milli-Volts instead of the Volts to the Readout Module....this can only be a good thing as its these Volts that could kill you....and the reason why I don't want to mess with a multimeter in the internals of my tube amps....


"you will not see this video if you have signed up for this blogs email edition"
This video is a different kit from mine but made by the same guy....Ken Koga in Minnesota, USA


ps....I'm in the UK....the BiasPro was £73.00....Postage from the US was £14.24....and I should have paid a VAT/Duty/Handling Fee of £22.80....


....but for some reason I was never asked to pay the charge...."maybe someone at the Royal Mail reads this Blog"....gotta love the Royal Mail....So all in the BiasPro work's out at £115 here in the UK....and that's still cheaper than the TAD biasing kit that only does half the job....it was posted by Ken in the US on the 6th and I got it on the 13th here in the UK....

 I'll have a play....bias some of my amps and tell you all how good the BiasPro VI is....k.j.


No comments:

Post a Comment